Re: [SLE] Dell Inspiron Keyboard
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:11:44 +0100
On 16/04/06, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:

> >> It sounds like you may have a hardware failure. Can you plug in a
> >> regular keyboard, to see if those keys work?
> >>

> > Or, try the keyboard on another PC? Just in case it is the keyboard
> > that is at fault. It may just need cleaning which is 'usually' an
> > easy enough job with some cotton buds and some ethyl alcohol.
>
> Since the keyboard is part of a laptop, it's a bit hard to move it to
> another computer. ;-)
>
> Also, given that more than one key is bad, it's unlikely caused by dirt,
> unless something was spilled on it. Keyboards are built on a matrix,
> with each key at an intersection of a row and column. Often one row or
> column will fail, causing all the keys along it to stop working. When
> that happens, the repair generally involves replacing the keyboard.

DOH! DOH! and DOH! again :-) My apologies. Why I did not see the
word laptop I cannot tell you, but I did miss it.

Anyway, It may still be dirt under the contacts. Is this a new laptop
or one that you have got from somebody else? Is there any chance the
something has perhaps been spilled on it?
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay