Suse 10 + Parallels (Some more info)
  • From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:43:29 -0700
Have gotten Parallels running pretty good with WinXP as guest operating
system under Suse 10.0. Ran into a few hitches that I got solved.

1. When starting the VM, I get the following error: Mentioned this in
earlier post)

Parallels Workstation encountered a problem with the /dev/rtc device.
This may be caused by one of the following reasons: (1) you do not have
proper system permissions, (2) the device is not found in your host PC,
(3) the device is used by another process. The absence of /dev/rtc
device may downgrade VM performance and make internal timers slow.

SOLUTION from Shawn Parr on the parallels forum:

Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

In there do a search for rtc, and add:

MODE="666"

It will look like this after editing:

KERNEL="rtc" GROUP="audio", MODE;"666"

2 If you install a flexlm program for dongle licensing, the virtual
machine will crash, even when rebooting.

Set acceleration from "High" to "Normal" Parallels is working on fixing
this problem.

3. I was getting an error in the /var/log/messages file about
CPUFREQD_MODULES needing to be set for speedstep_ich.

I edited /etc/sysconfig/powersave/cpufreq and changed

CPUFREQD_MODULES=""

CPUFREQD_MODULES="speedstep_ich"

No more error. (This is for inspiron 8500 with P4-M processor. This may
change according to your processor.)

4. One other open issue which parallels is working on to fix is that
it cannot connect to USB devices and it only connects to upto 2 devices
with USB 1.1 protocal.

Work around for that is to share the USB hardrive or printer in Linux
with Samba Server, and then it will show up in Windows network and you
can map the drives that way.

5. I had one complaint about it otherwise that was finally solved.
When moving the mouse from windows, you had to press ctrl+alt to release
the mouse back to Linux. I installed the ParallelsTools in windows which
replaces the original video, mouse, and network drivers with new one.
This allows what they call mouse syncronization. Now I can go from
windows virtual macine window to linux with the ctrl+alt.

Otherwise, WinXP is operating at close to native speed untill I install
Etrust firewall and virus program which really slows it down. I
Uninstalled the firewall and virus program and configured the network
for host only networking. Can't get to the internet with XP, but don't
really need to as I can use Linux for that.

When I installed Linux, I created a 2GB fat32 partition for file
transfers, but don't really need that now. I think I will resize that to
a 10GB partition and put the winXP virtual machine on it now that I know
how to do it. I can copy the present virtual machine disk to that
partition without having to do a reinstall, in theory anyhow.

Last thing to do is with the WiFi, but have the info from Jon van Kan.
This is not really critical for me at this time anyhow, but do want to
get it to operate.

Art

  • No further messages