Re: [SLE] Firefox 1.0.8
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:36:31 -0400
On Monday 17 April 2006 2:22 pm, Kai Ponte wrote:
> Being a newbie and not knowing about the innards of how GNU/Linux work
> and the relationship (or lack thereof) I have a fear of installing
> something from TAR, not knowing if it will/will not run with my other
> apps. I am much more secure knowing I'll install an RPM and it will
> work the way it should and that there won't be issues down the road,
> for which I"m completely unprepared to handle. I'm sure others feel the
> same way.
>
> For a smallish app like - say - AirCrack or NMap - which don't need
> KDE/Gnome integration - there isn't an issue. This fear, I think, only
> comes with more "involved" apps like Firefox or OpenOffice.
In the general case, the advantage of RPMs are that they maintain a
database.

Most tarballs use the configure/make/make install sequence. The configure
essentially checks the dependencies. The disadvantage is that a database is
not maintained. You could easily install a number of different versions of
the same product. But, when you are installing an application as a tarball,
it should not cause trouble with much else. The advantage with tarballs are
that you custom build them for your environment.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group