Re: [SLE] Firefox 1.0.8
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:19:22 -0400
On Monday 17 April 2006 15:03, Kai Ponte wrote:
> Heh, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.
>
> >From RMS's speech in Australia the other week, "The apolitical
>
> philosophy of Linus Torvalds ...the main basis for promoting his views
> because it is attributed to him directly by labeling the GNU system as
> Linux. And that is why I ask people to call the system as GNU/Linux."
>
> Interesting comment, I thought.
>
> I do more call it just Linux and not GNU/Linux. Besides a Gnu, IMO,
> isn't as nice a mascot as Tux.

Quoting from that egotistical maniac is almost as bad. I just took a look
at RMS's personal home page for the first time. Made me gag. He's
obviously smoking some non-standard stuff....

www.stallman.org/

This from a writeup about Linus:

"Only about 2% of the current Linux kernel is written by Torvalds himself.
Despite the relative size of his contribution, Torvalds remains the ultimate
authority on what new code is incorporated into the Linux kernel. Torvalds
generally stays out of non-kernel-related debates. The Linux kernel, when
combined with software developed by many others, (mainly the GNU system)
results in a so-called Linux distribution. Most people refer to this
combination as just Linux. However some, including Richard Stallman, refer to
it as "GNU/Linux." Torvalds maintains that the name "GNU/Linux" is only
justified if you make a GNU-based distribution."

He also claims that calling it GNU/Linux is just 'ridiculous'.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy