Re: [SLE] Firefox 1.0.8
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:34:02 -0400
On Monday 17 April 2006 3:19 pm, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> Quoting from that egotistical maniac is almost as bad. I just took a
> look at RMS's personal home page for the first time. Made me gag. He's
> obviously smoking some non-standard stuff....
>
> www.stallman.org/

Agreed, but we own RMS a debt of gratitude for his many contributions.
First, was Emacs (the VI people will dispute this of course :-). But, the
major contribtribution is really the Free Software Foundation and the
licenses that much of the software around Linux (including the kernel)
uses. In essence, he is the founder of the Open Source movement. (I make
that statement with a bit of intepidation since so many others, like Eric
Raymond have also made tremendous contributions).

Many people misinterpret "Free Software". To RMS and the FSF it means "free"
as in freedom, not "free" as in free beer.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group