Re: [SLE] OT: Posting from another unsubscribed address for a subscriber?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:42:55 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2006-04-16 at 18:59 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> > By the way, tiscali.es is out of business. They sold their customers
> > et al to "Wanadoo" (France Telecom España S.A).
> Tiscali went out here about 6 montha ago and now the servers are owned
> by the MWEb ISP. They are, at teh moment, keeping the server names that
> Tiscali used but I am sure they will change to xxxx.mweb.co.za in a while.

¡Ha! So, it wasn't only Spain where they failed. Interesting.

I'm not surprised... you can not be out of service for a full weekend,
with even the help desk phone not working, and when it works, they know
nothing.

> Sorry I need a bit of explanation here.
>
> Do I understand correctly that once you have dialed in and authenticated
> that the Postfix server just uses the internet connection and actually
> not the ISP's SMTP server, other than as a SMTP relay?

Ok, let's see. There are different methods.

Many accounts provide a pop/imap box, plus an smtp server. With programs
like mozilla you can configure each account separately, each with their
different fetching and sending methods.

On the other hand, good isps may, or should, provide and smtp server which
you may use to send all your email, regardless to which account they
belong. Consider: you may have your own domain name, but you do not have
your own sending server, so you use the smtp server of the isp for that
purpose.

What can your postfix do?

By default, postfix (or sendmail, or whatever) will send mail on its own,
without the help of any other smtp server. Postfix is an smtp server, so
it can send email to any destination by its own resources.

What happens it you are on dial-up? Mainly, you do not have a fixed IP.
Coupled to that, reverse dns will not work, or will not point to your
name. Can you still send mail directly? Sure! well... not quite. Many
recipient servers will frown on it and refuse receiving email from you,
because many spammers have abused and used the direct send method to
bypass controls. Fortunately, SuSE has not implemented that policy, not
absolutely, at least.

Your postfix can be told to use a relay server based on the destination
(the "transport" table), for those cases that the recipient server refuse
talking to you. Unfortunately, for us, it is not possible, or I don't know
how, to select diferent relays based on the from addres, as we can do with
Mozilla.

That's the situation.

- --
Cheers,