Re: [SLE] Bash Files
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:48:00 -0400
* Greg Wallace <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx> [04-18-06 00:39]:
> On Monday, April 17, 2006 @ 3:59 PM, Rob Wright wrote:
> >I'm trying to learn more about bash and setting up some system
> >customizations.
> >It seems like OpenSuSE 10.0 might be using a setup that's different
> >from the "typical" .bash_profile, .bash_logout, and .bashrc files? Is
> >this correct? Some of the changes that I make to those files take,
> >and some of them don't.
> >It's hit or miss, but something is setting my PATH and other stuff, I
> >just can't figure out what. Is it all coming out of the system /etc
> >directory?
>
> I thought that, at the user level, the two main profiles were .bashrc
> and .profile, with .profile executing once at logon an .bashrc running
> every time you open a new shell. I'm not familiar with .bash_...
> files.

I guess that this is one reason there are man files. From 'man bash'
INVOCATION section:

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and
executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After
reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first
one that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may be used when
the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.

and there is more in the indicated section for those interested.