Re: [SLE] Re: Oracle-Novell
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:58:07 +0200
On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 07:58 -0700, Kai Ponte wrote:
> Instead of working to fix the issue, he went ahead and focused scarce
> resources on another competing product. This has created a schism of
> sorts in the Linux world and has been pointed to me several times by
> people wanting to upgrade from Windows as a reason why they won’t or why
[snip]

You make a number of valid points. The same could be said for a host
of applications in the opensource world. I would, for example, love to
see the recources put into rewriting sendmail, rather be spent in
develping postfix. But see that becomes a matter of preference.

I think for all the bad that gnome was (it has improved a lot), it
served one important purpose. Had it not been for gnome, KDE would not
have been anywhere near as good as it is today.

> GNOME is – I’m sure – a fine desktop. I won’t use it because I feel it
> is blurry and puts a strain on my eyes when I look at it. KDE is also a
> fine desktop, which IMO is sharper and easier to read.
I can't say I have that problem. In fact, I like Gnome as it is now, a
lot. Was it not for that braindead file manager, I probably would have
been using it over KDE.

> I also believe
> the Qt licensing is a valid business model which deserves support and
> not ridicule.
Agreed. I have stated before on this list and others my displeasure
with people who can never stop complaining about things note being
completely free/open. Like the nVidia and ATI drivers. We know they
can't opensource the drivers, but still we keep on bitching and moaning
about it.

Hans