Re: [SLE] connecting to a UNIX or a Linux cluster from SuSE
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:04:28 -0400
> > From my laptop running SuSE9.3 I can connect to a SUN station (UNIX
> > sstem) or a Linux cluster.
> > I connect through ssh. How can I get a graphic connection ?
> > So far I only get a character connection ?
> > Which SuSE module shall I install (installation parameter ? ) ?
>
> Depending on what you'd like to run you can just do this...
>

> ssh -X <host id>
>
> This enables X forwarding via ssh tunnel so you can run things such as
> Veritas or other such applications. I'm not sure whatelse you'd like to
> do.. you can export the whole desktop from the Sun to SUSE but that would
> be SUCH a piggy. ;D
Additionally, the KDE kssh applet can also be used, but make sure you have
Enable X11 set. Once you ssh into a site with X forwarding, you should be
able to run most applications.

If you get an authentication failure, something like:

Run xhost + (or xhost +<hostname>) on the system you want to display on.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group