Re: [SLE] hal/haldaemon
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 02:40:37 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2006-04-19 at 17:10 -0700, Brad Dameron wrote:

> I have not found any decent documentation on this and from what I can
> see this daemon is just to detect changes in hardware like when you
> insert a cd-rom, a floppy, memory card, etc. Am I correct? And disabling
> this on a server should not cause any issues?

No, it would. Don't do that.

# Short-Description: HAL is a daemon for managning information about the hardware on the system
# in the system at any point in time. HAL tries to understand both physical devices (such
# as PCI, USB) and the device classes (such as input, net and block) physical devices have,
# and it allows merging of information from so called device info files specific to a device.
# HAL provides a network API through D-BUS for querying devices and notifying when things
# change. Finally, HAL provides some monitoring (in an unintrusive way) of devices, presently
# ethernet link detection and volume mounts are monitored. This, and more, is all described
# in the HAL specification
#

- --
Cheers,