Convert a Windows XP Prof to Linux
  • From: Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:15:17 +0800
I have an AMD 64 processor and many programs are not working with the x.64 editions, like scanners, correct printers, cameras, ...

I want therefore move also my desktop over to Linux (SuSE 10), since all my servers are running SuSE anyway.

I list below programs I am using right now on Windows and hope you can help me to complete the list with Linux programs:

Windows
Linux
M$ office
Open office
Babylon (mouse over English, Chinese words & click to get the German translation)
?
Active words (a text replacement tool, like br&[F8] willl replace br with my entire signature in Emails, .... or my list of phone numbers, or open a directory, or correct some spellings while I am writing)
?
MSN
?
Yahoo Messenger
?
ICQ
Kicq
Skype
Skype
Voip soft phones (I use now: Xlite, Eyebeam, snom360, firefly thirdparty)
?
Thunderbird & Firefox (can I move over my emails? bookmarks, thawte signature?)
same
Evernote (nice program to mark a part of an email / web site and store it in evernote)
?
Hamachi (does anybody know how to keep the old IP address?)
Hamachi
iTunes
?
PDAs & phone: Palm m515, HP5555, Nokia 6680
?
Canon Scanner
same with xsane
EPSON Photo 830
same
Audacity
same?
Adobe Audition
?
Google Earth, Desktop, Talk
?
mirc
kirc
Copypod
?
VNC
VNC
Newzcrawler
?
Graphic program, ... with Walcom tablet
gimp?
Photoscanner (basically it is a camera, which can make pictures and put them together into one pdf files, whereby it even turns the page and merge the pages into. You scan in 1,3,5,7, ... and flip the book, scan 8,6,4,2 and finish it to one pdf file)
?
Rosetta Stone (to learn Chinese)
?

Maybe I can use also Wine for the missing parts? There is another program (not free) to overcome this.

I have three partition and now only used one for Windows. I can install on the second partition Linux and try, ... but if successful, I would like to shrink the old Windows partition ...

Any thoughts? Experience?

bye

Ronald Wiplinger

< Previous Next >