RE: [SLE] Any recommendation for a 64 bit Athlon motherboard
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:40:53 +0200
On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 22:22 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
> No offense taken. Looking for one that doesn't have PCI Express on it. It
> will be postgres/storage server.

This isn't what we usually call server class hardware. But we have a
Gigabyte barebones system (comes with K8VM800M mATX board) with 1.6ghz
Sempron64 that became a temp mail server in a moment of panic, and
performed so well that it ended up becoming the permanent server. The
board has three PCI slots and one AGP, onboard SATA, no PCI-e. It has
onboard LAN and can take up to 2GB RAM (2x DDR slots).

If you would consider this, I would recommend the barebones package.
It's a very sturdy box, looks good, has good thermal design (comes with
a 12" fan) and is very quiet. If I recall correctly the product code is
GB-MB41LB.

We've deployed a couple of these where serious server hardware isn't
required, and they've served us very well.

Hans