Re: [SLE] SuSe and issues with their kernel's.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:37:27 +0200
Brad Dameron wrote:

> I have copied this to both lists due to my disgust with SuSe's kernel
> modifications from the vanilla kernel and additional modules not
> compiling right off of them.
>
> Anyone compiling a vanilla kernel under SuSe 10?

Yep, and I have no problems doing so.

> First here is my hardware configuration:
>
> Appro XtremeServer with 4 - 880 CPU's, 64GB Ram, 2 - 36GB 15k SCSI
> drives This server uses the NVidia nForce4 Pro 2200/2050 chipset

What is an "880" CPU ? (just being curious)

> I untar my kernel. Enter the directory, do a "zcat /proc/config.gz
>> .config" Then I do a "make menuconfig".

You might want to do a "make oldconfig" before "make menuconfig".

> Look through the settings not changing
> anything. Do my make, make modules_install, make install. Everthing
> looks good.

You don't rebuild your initrd?? "mk_initrd"?

> Do a reboot, it starts the boot, gets to my 79xx SCSI
> driver, sees the first few drives, then starts dumping kernel error
> messages and finally freezes up.

Check your /etc/sysconfig/kernel and see what it puts in the initrd.
Unless you build the kernel with all boot-time modules built in, you
will need to rebuild the initrd.

> OpenSuse 10.1RC1 kernel which is 2.6.16-20 installed that. Everything
> booted fine. So I copied it's .config into the vanilla kernel
> directory, did my make routine, reboot and same issue.

And same reason.

> Why do I need a vanilla kernel you ask? Well because there are a lot
> of applications that do not seem to compile when pointed to the SuSe
> kernel source tree. One being RedHat GFS which we are going to start
> using. There are other applications as well.

Have you got some more examples?

> And I am a bit upset that
> they change their kernel so much that some of these applications will
> not compile on their kernel.

AFAIK, SUSE is working towards a mostly-vanilla kernel, and have already
reduced the number of extra patches considerably.

> Or if anyone is using GFS on SuSe let me know what you did.

I have only looked at it so far, but I find it very difficult to accept
that SUSEs kernel modifications would prevent GFS from building.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich