Re: [SLE] SuSe and issues with their kernel's.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:18:41 +0200
Brad Dameron wrote:

> I tried to compile it against the 2.6.16-20 kernel and had problems as
> well. I installed the source rpm, did a make cloneconfig in the
> directory, did a make. Then went to the cluster package did
> a ./configure --kernel_src=/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-20, then a make
> install. It got down to dio.c and failed. I will post the exact error
> tomorrow.

Like I said yesterday, you will have to modify the kernel toplevel
Makefile, and remove "-Werror-implicit-function-declaration" from the
CFLAGS. Otherwise you will see the following:

CC [M] /home/per/workspace/cluster-1.02.pj/gfs-kernel/src/gfs/dir.o
/home/per/workspace/cluster-1.02.pj/gfs-kernel/src/gfs/dir.c: In
function ?dir_split_leaf?:
/home/per/workspace/cluster-1.02.pj/gfs-kernel/src/gfs/dir.c:761: error:
implicit declaration of function ?vmalloc?
/home/per/workspace/cluster-1.02.pj/gfs-kernel/src/gfs/dir.c:761:
warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/per/workspace/cluster-1.02.pj/gfs-kernel/src/gfs/dir.c:792: error:
implicit declaration of function ?vfree?

> I would love to be able to do a simple SuSe 10 install and
> be able to compile GFS against the installed kernel.

1. cat /proc/config.gz >/usr/src/linux/.config
2. make -C /usr/src/linux/ oldconfig
3. make -C /usr/src/linux/
4. correct the /usr/src/linux/Makefile wrt
"-Werror-implicit-function-declaration"
5. apply my patch http://jessen.ch/files/cluster-1.02.00.patch
6. in cluster-1.02.00, run ./configure --kernel_src=/usr/src/linux
7. in cluster-1.02.00, run make

Done.

> Actually I spent quite a lot of time trying to get this to work. And
> some of the things SuSe is doing had finally brought me to a boiling
> point.

But they've only done ONE thing to the kernel source-tree that causes
GFS not to compile cleanly. (due to an implicit declaration in dir.c)

> Like their lack of server side rpm updates. They seem to be
> focusing on mainly desktop updates. Yes I should go with enterprise
> version. But I checked that out as well and some server side packages
> are still back from early 2005. I am referring to things like LVM2,
> device-mapper for starters.

It's a different discussion, one that it might be interesting to take to
one of the opensuse lists instead.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

< Previous Next >