Re: [SLE] Two monitors
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:57:06 +0200
Hmm, Michael cc'ed me on his last reply and didn't notice my reply only went
to him...

Am Freitag, 21. April 2006 09:40 schrieben Sie:
> > First of all, have you installed the official nVidia drivers? The OSS
> > versions don't support multi-head operation. Just use YOU and select the
> > nVidia drivers.
>
> Yes I have, from YOU, but I'll try an update.
>
> > Next, open YaST or Sax from the KDE/Gnome menu and (from YaST select
> > hardware->graphic card and monitor).
> >
> > If you have a second monitor plugged in, you should see a second monitor
> > tab appear to control its settings.
>
> That's the trouble, I have no second monitor tab. When SUSE boots it shows
> the boot up sequence on the second monitor but it goes blank when the
> system is up. Knoppix however gives me two identical screens, so I deduce
> it's not a hardware problem
>
> > By default the monitors will mirror each other. I think they also need to
> > both be connected at boot for the second one to be recognised the first
> > time, not sure if the sax routines will pick it up if it is connected
> > later (I know I had problems under 8.n and 9.n when trying that).
>
> I have booted with the second monitor connected, in fact I did that after
> it was connected and ran SAX from init 3 to try and set it up. I got aa
> very blurred image on the second monitor.
>
> > Then further down the tab there should be a button for multi-monitor
> > usage, you just need to select Xinerama mode.
>
> As above there is no such button.
>
> > ATi's driver installer cause Sax to barf on this machine, so I can't
> > currently double check the exact layout, but googling for SUSE and
> > Xinerama should bring up some decent howto's, that's how I learnt how I
> > trouble shooted it the first time.
>
> I tried googling for that but as yet can't find anything. I'll try again

I have a feeling that mine is set-up as twinview (I'm on the road at the
moment, so can't check), but I do configure it through Sax2. That changed
with 10.0 AFAIK, sorry if I misled in the first reply... This also has the
advantage of allowing 3D acceleration with twin monitors (something Xinerama
didn't do), I can play things like foobilliard on one monitor while watching
a film on the other :)

One thing to bear in mind, even with a 256MB card, the nVidia drivers don't
seem to like doing 24-bit when using 2 monitors, drop to 16-bit and things
should be better...

Try googling twinview and suse instead of xinerama, that should give you the
basics. Go with what Clayton posted as well. If you are still having problems
later, I'll post my xorg.conf when I get back...

--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing