About spammers getting email addresses from suse archives
  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:50:06 +0200
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 18:30:29 PM +0100, Vince Littler
(who.still.believes.@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Monday 10 April 2006 18:17, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Vince Littler <redacted> [04-10-06 12:34]:
> >
> > > Actually, talking of crass, there you go again, you have put my email
> > > address into the archives at http://lists.suse.com/archive/
> > > suse-linux-e/2006-Apr/1059.html, despite repeated requests not to.
> > >
> > :^)
> I'll take that as an admission that [given previous correspondence]
> you are putting my email address into the archives, deliberately and
> with the knowledge and intent that it will be trawled by spammers. I
> don't actually need to say any more.

Vince, and all others still nurturing such illusions:

have you realized that whatever Patrick, I or anybody else does with
the attribution line, your address is already being harvested by
spammers anyway? Every time you post?

Check out this post of yours at
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2006-Apr/1100.html

See the From line at the beginning of the page? How much time do you
think it's needed to write a script that downloads all the archives
and replaces all the _at_ strings with @ ? I would need less than 5
minutes, and I wouldn't even have the money incentive...

But hey, why do it when it would be even easier to subscribe a fake,
silent address with the sole purpose of receiving at home all the
original messages, addresses and all?

I *can* understand and partly share your concern, but to yell at other
users *after* your "secret" has been written on every wall sounds
a bit silly. In any case, it's almost useless.

HTH,
Marco

--
Marco Fioretti mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory http://www.rule-project.org/

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the
set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx

< Previous Next >