Re: [SLE] About spammers getting email addresses from suse archives
  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:27:20 +0200
On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 11:05:25 AM -0400, Bruce Marshall (bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Friday 21 April 2006 10:10, Ken Schneider wrote:
> >
> > You need to understand the the above line is added by the email client,
> > -NOT- the one replying to your post, so the poster has -NO- control what
> > is put there without re-writing the code for the client program.
>
> 1) People have a choice of email clients.....
>
> 2) Many email clients (like Kmail for example) allow you to specity the
> information of user, address, etc.....

Of course. But sometimes even such tricks may not be enough.

I have seen more than once the very same flames, by people who were so
proud of how they *did* obscure the From and Reply-to headers,
happening on lists which still publish online the whole, raw, original
mbox file, with the address of those same people inside some other
header.

And one gzipped mbox file is much faster to download and parse than a
whole MhonArc directory, so rest assured that spammers do it that way.

What I mean is that it is totally, totally useless to be so paranoid
and yell at other subscribers until one has both configured properly
his email client AND checked/demanded that the archives are managed
properly. For EVERY list one wants to follow.

Ciao,
Marco

--
Marco Fioretti mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory http://www.rule-project.org/

Technology is legislation -- C. Einfeldt on OO.o discuss list

< Previous Next >