RE: [SLE] hal/haldaemon
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:24:20 +0200 (CEST)
> Completely OT, but I can't resist. While it may not be a good
idea to
> disable HAL, it certainly would have been nice if the HAL folks
had
provided
> some sort of front-end graphics module for modifying at least
some of the
> high-level basics of this animal. As far as I can tell, if you
don't want
> all of the defaults, get ready to start laying XML code. If this
were some
> optional add-on app, that would be one thing, but for
something that
> operates close to the foundation of the OS, it could use a bit
more
> user-friendliness. The reason for this rant is that I had to
modify the HAL
> XML code just to prevent HAL from trying to automount my
floppy drive
every
> time I booted. Now I don't know about most people, but I
personally don't
> use my floppy each time I boot into my system. As a matter
of fact, as far
> as I can recall, the last time I used it was to make a boot
floppy, and that
> was a long time ago.
>
> Greg Wallace

Hello Greg and others:

I think this is not OT at all.
This hal/hald/automount issue in Linux/SUSE if very confusing.
It might work well if you are fine with all the defaults.
But if you want to change something it becomes a pain.

I guess there should be a graphical interface where one can set:

1. What devices she/he wants to be automounted.
Eg. I don't like if optical devices (CD/DVD) are automounted but
it is a good thing for USB-devices (pendrive).

2. The mountpoint (name) of the mounted device. Eg. I prefer
the name 'pendrive' to 'FlashDisk' for my USB pendrive but if I
enable automounting it always becomes 'FlashDisk'. I also
cant't stand the name 'cdrecorder' (SUSE's default).

If hal guys don't provide such a tool then SUSE people should
make one (either standalone or in YAST).

Cheers,
IG

Hogyan szerezz új állást? Regisztrálj, állítsd be a feltételeket, és naponta új, neked megfelelő ajánlatok
érkeznek emailcímedre. Jobline Állásposta: http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,98196,159883/click.prm