Re: [SLE] Video frequency too high for my LCD
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:23:57 -0500
On Saturday 22 April 2006 9:52 am, Thomas Astleitner wrote:
> SuSE now runs in version 10.1 RC1 in a screen resolution of 800x600 with
> a hardware manufactor of Hyundai, model L50S. As soon as I try to run a
> higher resolution, the monitor can't handle it.
>
> Physically, I have a LCD monitor manufactured by Hyundai, the model is
> called L70S, it's a 17" screen.

Are you not able to choose the L70S monitor in SaX2? If it isn't listed then
you can add it to /usr/share/sax/api/data/cdb/Monitors and it'll be there
until the next update/upgrade replaces that file.

As root, edit /usr/share/sax/api/data/cdb/Monitors and add the specs using
another monitor as a template.

Doing a 'cat /usr/share/sax/api/data/cdb/Monitors | grep HYUNDAI' doesn't
show the L50S or the L70S. So you'll probably have to add it.

> I have already tried to change the frequency parameters in SAX2, without
> success.

I'd try using a generic LCD 1024x768@60 setting or whatever is the native
value for that monitor. That will also work.

> The reason why I'm wirting on this mailing list is because i already had
> the problem on the released version of 10.0 so maybe i'm running into
> troubles which already are in the released version.

If adding the monitor's specifications as a new entry in the Monitors
database is the fix then you or I can add it into Novell's bugzilla and
it'll be there in the future.

> I can't imagine that I'm the only one having such kind of problem, so
> maybe one of you have a simple HowTo for me, I'd be so very glad to hear.

I've had issues with Samsung Syncmaster monitors in SUSE Linux but they are
all resolved now because the Monitors database has been updated. Thanks
SUSE!!!

> Thank you a lot!
> Thomas

Stan