Re: [SLE] NDIS Setup Problem
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:04:15 -0600
On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 13:24 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Friday 21 April 2006 12:56 pm, Donald D Henson wrote:
> > SuSE 10.0
> >
> > I'm trying to set up an NDIS wrapper on a laptop. I've found several
> > tutorials, most of which were very helpful. However, I'm having trouble
> > locating the .sys and .inf files for the wireless card. This is a dual
> > boot laptop so the Windows drivers should be available right there. I
> > think I've found the location of the files I need but there are six of
> > them and I only need two. (Right?) The fact that some of the files have
> > file extensions and others don't just increases my confusion. Any
> > assistance in locating the correct files will be sincerely appreciated.
> > It's been a while since I've done any serious work on Windows so feel
> > free to talk down to me. Here's the files I've found
> >
> > C:\SWSetup\WLAN\bcmwl15 (Setup Information)
> > C:\SWSetup\WLAN\bcmwl15.PNF (Precompiled Setup Information)
> > C:\SWSetup\WLAN\bcmwl15 (System file)
> > C:\SWSetup\WLAN\bcmwl15a (Setup Information)
> > C:\SWSetup\WLAN\bcmwl15a.PNF (Precompiled Setup Information)
> > C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\BCMWL5 (System file)

> Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit laptop.

It's an HP zd8000. Windows reports that the processor is an "Intel
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz". Is that a 64-bit processor?

> What model Broadcom card or chip.

All I can find is "Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN". That doesn't look like a
model number but I don't know where else to look.

> For HP/Compaq laptops ...
> <http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22737.html>
> Download the appropriate SPnnnn.exe

So I shouldn't use the files already available in Windows? How do I
determine which SPnnnn.exe is appropriate?

> You can unpack it using the cabextract. You will find the 32-bit .sys
> and .inf files in there. If you need the 64-bit drivers the one below
> works.
> ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/ferrari_4000/driver/winxp64bit/80211g.zip
>
> The installation process has been documented by several of us in this forum.
> Look for the thread:
> [SLE] ndiswrapper and 64-bit Broadcom wireless drivers

Ok. I'll have a look at the thread. For something that just works in
Windows, this sure is complicated.. Is anyone working on a shell script
to make this an automatic process?

> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
> Boston Linux and Unix user group
> http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9
> PGP Key fingerprint:053C 73EC 3AC1 5C44 3E14 9245 FB00 3ED5 C506 1EA9

Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network
The "Non-Initiation of Force Principle" Rules