Re: [SLE] hal/haldaemon
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:58:35 -0400

>On Saturday 22 April 2006 15:24, Istvan Gabor wrote:
>> I also cant't stand the name 'cdrecorder' (SUSE's default).
>
>That's to distinguish it from its read-only counter-part (AKA cdrom).
Perhaps
>you would prefer cdrwm? ;)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Leen

I guess you are being sarcastic, but I hope that something
like cdrwm doesn't catch on. The UNIX lunatix have made
most of the filenames impossible to coordinate with what
they do. I suppose that those people who wrote and worked
with UNIX decades ago probably never had any typing courses,
and were forced to hunt and peck on their old Teletype
machines, and so created very short names. Also, of course,
names had to live in machine memory, which was in very short
supply in those days.

Nowadays, almost every kid takes a course called "keyboarding,"
or, in plain English, typing, and can deal with a computer
keyboard probably faster than most of us on the list!

Let us continue to name programs with nomens that mean
something and are memorable.