Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Sales?
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:30:58 -0600
On 23/04/06 19:00, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
>On Sunday 23 April 2006 06:39 pm, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>>As an aside, when did libDVDcss become legal in the United States?
>>

>It's obviously legal under the right circumstances since all living-room DVD
>players and Windows-based software players like Power DVD can play encrypted
>DVDs!

I wasn't aware that Windows or my DVD player (the one plugged into the
TV, not the one in my computer) used libDVDcss. LibDVDcss is a codec
library for Linux, not a general-purpose codec library. Microsoft and
manufacturers of DVD players all licenced the codec from whoever owns
the DVD/CSS patents, and implemented it in proprietary software, whereas
the author of libDVDcss did not -- that library purports to be open
source, which, if those patents have any validity to them whatsoever, is
patently ridiculous.

>If I can go out and buy PowerDVD to watch movies on my Windows computer, and
>that's legal, isn't it about time there was legal software to play movies on
>my Linux computer? How many years has it been, yet if we WANT to be legal,
>what software can we buy?

That I cannot help you with.
>Till this absurd situation changes, I don't apologize for downloading
>libdvdcss.
Well, *shhhhh* until it is legal, or you might find yourself on
someone's terrorist watchlist ;)