Re: [SLE] System "upgrade"..?
  • From: Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:41:43 +0200
Anders Johansson skrev:
On Friday 21 April 2006 10:27, Anders Norrbring wrote:
Would it all be possible to make a "system upgrade" from a SLES9 system
to a SuSE Pro 10.0?
What are the big pitfalls, if any? Will the system continue to run as
configured on the original SLES9?

Caveat: I've never tried it, so this is purely from a general knowledge of how a suse system is set up.

In theory it's possible. From an abstract point of view, a SLES9 system is a 9.1 Professional.

One problem comes in the system configuration files. SLES9 is tagged as a different product. Which means you may run into problems with for example the ProdDB files.

You're also moving from a system that didn't use udev, to one that does. I'm not convinced that the installer will do the right thing

It's also not a supported operation, in two senses of the word: in the first sense, YaST has not been written to handle such a big jump, so it might not handle everything correctly. In the second sense, the upgrade path is not covered by any sort of support from Novell/SUSE, both because the leap from 9.1 (SLES) to 10.0 isn't supported in itself, and because the 10.0 product is only covered by basic installation support

If you do it, I'm sure you can get it to work, but don't expect it to be flawless

Test run report..

I made a dd copy of the running system to another box..

Booted from 10.0 DVD, chose "System update" and "Default settings for KDE".

The upgrade went almost perfect, I had to reinstall the GRUB bootloader manually, then everything went fine.

After completion and reboot, the LDAP server didn't want to run, so I had to do a db_recover and after that, it went fine.

So far I haven't run into anything that doesn't work exactly as it did on the SLES platform...

Of course not all tools look the same, but at least it seems like the basic functionality is okay. I'll do a test on a 100% copy of the running system as well, just to have it thorougly tested.

Anders.

< Previous Next >