Re: [SLE] Novell Network Client on SUSE Linux
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:18:31 -0400
kai wrote:
> On Monday 24 April 2006 03:57 pm, Clint Tinsley wrote:
>> Novell could have
>> been the next big thing in Linux, as in the words of Linus Torvalis
>> (Brainshare 2003?), when they bought SuSE and offered Novell's Open Server
>> containing both Netware and SLES in the same box. However, true to form,
>> Novell's leadership continues shooting itself in the both feet, knees, and
>> working its way up...
>
> No kidding, eh? You'd think they'd learn the lessons of the mid-90s where they
> went from commanding top-dollar for a quality product to losing pretty much
> everyone (including me) to Bill The Gates and his marketing henchmen.

You seem to be forgetting common MS tactics. That is to find a building
market and then bundle their version for "free". Read up on what's
currently in the courts re RealPlayer or Netscape in the past, for but
two examples. Then also read up on what MS did, to try and break a
competitors product, such as DR-DOS, Borland apps etc. I think you'll
find it goes a bit beyond legitimate marketing.