vnc trouble
  • From: "Duzenbury, Rich" <RDuzenbury@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:12:58 -0500
Hi,

I've used a number of distros, but not Suse. So far, it's been
pleasant, but I cannot seem to get a working VNC server. The
configuration looks a bit suspect to me.

It looks like the idea is to call Xvnc from xinetd. I've seen some
recommendations that it would be better to call vncserver at system
startup, rather than directly calling Xvnc, but perhaps that is not
true.

Here is the config for /etc/xinetd.d/vnc

# default: off
login \
# prompt. This VNC connection has a resolution of 1024x768, 16bit
depth.
service vnc1
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = nobody
server = /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc
server_args = :42 -inetd -once -query localhost -geometry
1024x768 -depth 16
type = UNLISTED
port = 5901
}
# default: off
login \
# prompt. This VNC connection has a resolution of 1280x1024, 16bit
depth.
service vnc2
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = nobody
server = /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc
server_args = :42 -inetd -once -query localhost -geometry
1280x1024 -depth 16
type = UNLISTED
port = 5902
}
# default: off
login \
# prompt. This VNC connection has a resolution of 1600x1200, 16bit
depth.
service vnc3
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = nobody
server = /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc
server_args = :42 -inetd -once -query localhost -geometry
1600x1200 -depth 16
type = UNLISTED
port = 5903
}

If I vnc to the machine and use :0 for the port, I can get the console,
if it has been logged in. Otherwise, the connect fails. This seems ok
to me.

If I vnc to any of the other ports (:1, :2, :3), I get a gui window, but
the screen is blank with a 'X' for a cursor. The login prompt never
comes. This is bad.

Some googling indicates that perhaps a xstartup file is missing, but I
cannot seem to figure out which xstartup file should be used.

Just for fun I loaded /var/lib/nobody/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh
echo running xstartup $DISPLAY $VNCDESKTOP >> /tmp/xstartup.log
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

Nothing ever gets written to /tmp/xstartup.log, so I think xstartup is
not being called. The vnc viewer never asks for a password, though I
thought it should.

One other bit, if I start a secure shell and run vncserver, and then
connect with vnc, everything works perfectly if I specify the given X
desktop instance. It usually gives Server:4.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards,

Rich Duzenbury

< Previous Next >