RE: [SLE] Is SUSE the market-place chicken or the egg?
  • From: "Kai Ponte" <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:02:16 -0700

> [snip a bunch of good points about corporate/lawyer-influenced
sociology]

> > > So I'm looking for a persuasive argument to present to
> > > those people who _do_ make such decisions and actions,
> > > to justify additional resources for testing on new-to-us
> > > platforms (SLES and the desktop SUSE) prior to
> > > each release of our products.
> >
> > So you are seeking information that would be knowledge expected of
> > sales personel in perhaps a cold call?
>
> Possibly in the future (though that would not go over well
> on the list), but at present they'd have nothing to
> offer, would they? If anybody is using our stuff with SUSE,
> we don't seem to know about it, and they aren't proud to
> publicize it. More to the point, NOBODY of any consequence is
> admitting to using SUSE corporately, at least not that I've
> heard.

I believe I did. :)

Hopefully I'll be getting SUSE in here at my new office, too. I just
have to convince upper management that my 98,000 co-workers need to
upgrade from Windows. (Yes, I am thinking more on a departmental level
ATM. I'm not totally crazy....yet.)

I've got a few convinced already that my laptop has the coolest
screensaver (matrix) in the building.

> Primarily I want to pique the interest of a couple of Product Managers
> and senior directors, who decide what we support, meaning that

<snip>

So this whole discussion is about what your company should produce??
What is your company? Is it SafeNet? http://www.safenet-inc.com/

If so, you'd probably have more luck asking the "platform" of choice
question on Security Forums - http://www.security-forums.com/ - a very
high-traffic site known by many who live/breathe and often sleep in cold
rooms. Most here on this list &#8211; myself included &#8211; look at this type of
hardware/application but are more users rather than implementers.

<snip>

HTH!!