Re: [SLE] df and du reporting incorrect file sizes
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:48:39 -0400
On Friday 28 April 2006 8:23 am, James Watkins wrote:

> Thanks for the stat tip, nice tool. stat reported that the size of one
> of the larger files was 28353837056 and that it was using 8442800
> blocks, which sounds about right for a block size of 4096 bytes.
> However, during the course of my investigations I decided to copy this
> file repeatedly to see how long it took to fill up the filesystem. I
> kept an eye on the size of the new file whilst copying it and noticed
> that when the size reached 4294971392 bytes (4 GB and a block, I don't
> know if this is significant or not) it paused for about a minute and
> then suddenly jumped to the full size. This seems a bit odd.
> Running 'reiserfsck --check' revealed no corruptions and there were no
> relevant messages in /var/log/messages.
I forgot that there is a file size limit of 2GB on a 32-bit system. This was
fixed in the 2.4 kernel time frame, but this could possibly be one of the
factors. It is important to check not only the version of the kernel you
have, but also the version of ReiserFS you have.
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

If the file system was created before the fix, that could be one of the
problems.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group