Re: [SLE] Is SUSE the market-place chicken or the egg?
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:39:38 -0400
On 4/27/06, Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hopefully I'll be getting SUSE in here at my new office, too. I just
have to convince upper management that my 98,000 co-workers need to
upgrade from Windows. (Yes, I am thinking more on a departmental level
ATM. I'm not totally crazy....yet.)

I've got a few convinced already that my laptop has the coolest
screensaver (matrix) in the building.

Keep up with the new Xen/VT technology coming out. You need a new
CPU/MB/etc. to use it with XP, but ...

Once you have the right hardware and Xen 3.0 you should be able to
boot your machine to SUSE 10.1, use that as your host os/hypervisor.
Then have client os'es of XP, SUSE, BSD, etc.

And all of that should run with fairly small overhead from Xen due to
its para-virtualization technology. I've heard less than 5% overhead
when it is a para-virtualized guest OS. SUSE 10 (and 10.1 i assume)
come with a para-virtualized kernel to support XEN efficiently. I
haven't seen overhead percentages for XEN running XP via VT yet.

Back to your proselytizing, you would be able set your co-workers up
as dual os, then interaction by interaction they could decide which OS
to use. That gives them the ability to make the transition one
application at a time.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer