Re: [SLE] df and du reporting incorrect file sizes
  • From: James Watkins <misterwatto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:55:28 +0100
Jerry Feldman wrote:
On Friday 28 April 2006 8:23 am, James Watkins wrote:

My next test will be to create a large file from /dev/urandom to see if
I can create a file that's bigger than 4GB.

Another possibility is with SMB, but since you have a ReiserFS file system that is exported, it should not be a problem on the local system unless, as I mention, the file system was crated before the LFS fix.

I think I'm getting closer to the source of this problem. As I suspected, the file was full of zeros after 4GB, I tested a regular network copy from the NT4 box that I'm trying to back up and it had the same problem. However, a similar test from windows 2000 succeeded so I guess it's a samba/NT4 compatibility issue. I will post a message to the samba list on tuesday (bank holiday weekend here).

Thanks for your help, I'm off to the pub.

Have a lot of fun!

James.

< Previous Next >