Re: [SLE] logrotate question
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:14:46 -0400
* Till Wimmer <suse-e@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [04-28-06 19:44]:
> I was wondering because of the "weekly" in the global logrotate.conf. So
> what's more crucial: The weekly or the size=50M directive... and why?
> The man pages don't answer this.

?? Mine does. man logrotate, search for weekly. Under
'CONFIGURATION FILE' there is a discription of 'weekly''s action.

> My /etc/logrotate.de/apache looks like this:

what about /etc/logrotate.d/apache2
^^^ ^^^

> /vhosts/substring/log/*.log /vhosts/tonarchiv/log/*.log
> /vhosts/safoso/log/*.log {
> size 50M

rotate at 50M unless another condition *here* comes sooner

> rotate 9999

will rotate at 9999 days even if 1M

> dateext
> compress
> delaycompress
> nocreate
> nocopy
> sharedscripts
> postrotate
> apachectl graceful
> endscript
> }

you omitted:
missingok
/etc/init.d/apache2 reload

?? apachectl graceful ??

The man pages for logrotate are actually quite good, but do require
some study. If you mis-type your config files, they will not do what
you expect!