Re: [SLE] update evolution
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:34:45 -0400
On Friday 28 April 2006 23:01, Peter Van Lone wrote:
<snip>
> But -- it looks from the gnome/evolution web site that I have to
> either install from source or use red carpet to get an updated
> version.

Hi Peter,

SUSE is an rpm package based distribution so you should primarily be looking
at rpms and not source/tarballs for software installations and updates like
this. Also, the rpm packages you want need to be built for your specific
version of SUSE... don't mess around with installing packages built for other
versions or distributions (unless you really, really know what you're doing.)

The GNOME supplementary update directory on the SUSE mirrors have
evolution-data-server 1.6.0-2x on them. Check here:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_10.0

You can add both the KDE and GNOME update directories as installation sources
in YaST (pick a closer mirror if one is available) as follows:

Mode/Protocol: ftp
Server: mirror.mcs.anl.gov (example)
directory: pub/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_10.0/yast-source
(note: substitute 'KDE' for 'GNOME' to add the supplementary KDE repository)

If I were you, I wouldn't update all of GNOME since this has caused stability
and usability issues for me in the past since version 9.3... but you might
want to update individual packages very selectively... one or two at a
time... in cases like this for specific problems. Just be careful, as these
are not "official" and definitely not supported.

Good luck!

Carl