Re: [SLE] Is SUSE the market-place chicken or the egg?
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:50:18 -0700
> > From: Kai Ponte [mailto:kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> [...]
>
> > Hopefully I'll be getting SUSE in here at my new office, too. I just
> > have to convince upper management that my 98,000 co-workers need to
> > upgrade from Windows.
>
> You aren't holding your breath for that, are you?

LOL! No. But I did install a WAMP stack on a few of our development servers
today. They all run Windows Workstation 2003 and I'm starting an intranet
site cataloging the 75+ applications I'm in charge of and doing it using PHP
and MySQL.

> > (Yes, I am thinking more on a departmental level
> > ATM. I'm not totally crazy....yet.)
>
> You'll either convince a few people to start switching - or at least
> dual-booting - or you'll invoke the wrath of god (er, the IT dept.) who
> will come down on everybody like a load of bricks and mandate that nobody
> diverge from sacred Windows that they know how to support... and spy on...
> and push updates with Active Directory.

ROTFL! Yeah, I'm aware of that real threat. I - of course - am part of the IT
department, so at least the threat is managable. I just need to start
educating, that is all.

> > I've got a few convinced already that my laptop has the coolest
> > screensaver (matrix) in the building.
>
> Yeah, yeah. That's just because nobody is running MarineAquarium
> or DreamAquarium.
>
> At least the DreamAquarium guy is talking about an eventual
> port to Linux. There's hope.

Wow, that looks nice. I've been honestly looking for a fishtank screen saver
for linux and haven't found one. The last good one I had came with AfterDark
for my wife's Mac LC.

Oh, and as for safenet - I like your site.