Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:08:55 +0200
Thu, 27 Apr 2006, by harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> hi folks,
> I have been living with a little irritation for some time now, and it finally
> dawned on me to ask someone about it. duh.
>
> Since upgrading my machines to the suse 9.2 professional boxed set, all of the
> machines began taking 5 minutes to boot-up... hanging around for a very long
> time "creating devices" and "setting up kernel module dependencies (if
> required)".

> What is the system waiting for? What is the trick to get the boot-up process
> to fly by like before?

Not sure if there's a simularity here, but on my 9.2 box all of the
filesystems were checked at each boot.
I turned that off by inserting in /etc/sysconfig/boot:
FASTBOOT="yes"
RUN_PARALLELE="yes"
USE_MAKE="yes"

After that the box boot{ed,s} as fast as the previous 9.1 version.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131