Re: [SLE] bash printscreen key?
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:24:29 +0200
Fri, 28 Apr 2006, by cocke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> The answer to this is probably in front of me, but it's been a long
> day...
>
> I have a SuSE 9.3 system, no x-windows, just a bash console. I want
> to be able to hit the printscreen key and get a hardcopy of the screen
> contents - no graphics, just text (there is some color, which I don't
> need).
>
> P.S. It doesn't HAVE to be the printscreen key - I don't care if it's
> the fred key - just let me get a hardcopy.

Look at vcs(4)
Quote:
DESCRIPTION
/dev/vcs0 is a character device with major number 7 and minor number 0,
usually of mode 0644 and owner root.tty. It refers to the memory of
the currently displayed virtual console terminal.

EXAMPLES
You may do a screendump on vt3 by switching to vt1 and typing cat
/dev/vcs3 >foo. Note that the output does not contain newline charac-
ters, so some processing may be required, like in fold -w 81 /dev/vcs3
| lpr or (horrors) setterm -dump 3 -file /proc/self/fd/1.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131