Re: [SLE] has anyone had any success with the Atheros wireless in an IBM Thinkpad R51e?
  • From: Gil Weber <gil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:59:53 -0400
On Sat April 29 2006 7:53 am, Per Jessen wrote:
> Per Jessen wrote:
> > I've just installed 10.1RC3 on a new IBM Thinkpad R51e - the
> > Atheros built-in wireless device is listed by "lspci", but SUSE
> > does not otherwise seem to touch it. I've checked with Lenovo/IBM
> > regarding drivers, but they have not yet come back to me.
>
> OK, some more research done - the madwifi projekt supports the
> Atheros chip, it was easy install etc.
> I guess I have to opt for some of the non-oss packets to have SUSE
> sort this device out automagically.
>

> /Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Per,

My laptop (LC2210D by linuxcertified.com) has the Atheros. I received
the following driver with the laptop. If it would help let me know and
I can send it to you privately.

madwifi-20050715.tar.gz

The laptop "readme" for the driver file says:

Madwifi drivers from http://madwifi.sf.net/. Required on all models if
you have an Atheros chipset wireless card. SuSE includes the Madwifi
drivers, but the SuSE drivers may not support newer Atheros chipsets.
Use these drivers if you have problems with the SuSE driver.

=====
Gil