Re: [SLE] SeaMonkey
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:54:35 -0400
On 06/04/29 11:36 (GMT-0400) Paul W. Abrahams apparently typed:

> On Saturday 29 April 2006 5:53 am, Peter Nikolic wrote:

>> Go one better
>> switch to Seamonkey i have had absolutley no problems since i switched on
>> all 3 boxes 9.2 32bit 10.0 32bit 10.0 x86_64 and now the laptop on
>> 10.1rc x86_64 ..

> I never heard of Seamonkey until you referred to it, but a web search showed
> me that it's a Mozilla project. The Linux version is based on GTK, so I
> wonder: does Seamonkey play well with KDE? Firefox has some problems in that
> context, though they're not fatal.

Before Firefox, there was only the Mozilla suite. Firefox started as
just the browser portion of the suite, with a new face, and a simplified
feature set:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ue/philosophy/realities.html

SeaMonkey 1 is essentially what Mozilla 1.8 would have been had it not
been officially terminated by the Mozilla Foundation's management.
Mozilla suite lives on as SeaMonkey, so don't be fooled by the version
number.

The target markets and marketing philosophy of the two are different,
but the guts of both, the Gecko rendering engine and Necko networking,
are identical for equivalent revision versions of each. Currently, the
equivalent release versions are FF 1.5.0.2 and SM 1.0.1. Both are build
using the GTK2 toolkit, but FF is more closely tied to desktop themes,
particularly when SM is used with its "Modern" theme, which makes it
more succeptible to desktop shortcomings.

I use only KDE, and find no unexpected differences between FF & SM.
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409