Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:45:26 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 4:30 pm, Dylan wrote:

> Well, if you look at /var/boot.msg (in a text editor or using
> YaST>Miscellaneous>View Start-up Log) you will see what is being done
> in great detail. You will find documentation about almost every package
> installed on the machine in /use/share/doc/packages - at least a README
> file with a reference to further information.

I'm familiar with those messages -- but the problem is that unless you're
already very well informed about such things, there's no obvious way to tell
what package generated a particular message. Some examples:

Starting CapiSuite done
Starting SubDomain Event daemon done

> Also, in YaST>System>/etc/sysconfig Editor you can set
> System>Boot>PROMT_FOR_CONFIRM to "yes" which will allow you to disable
> individual services at boot time to see what effect that has on the
> system.

That may well be the answer.

> Lastly, YaST>System>System Services (Runlevel) will let you enable and
> disable services permanently.

Provided you know which services you want to disable.

Paul