Re: [SLE] SMTP authentication
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:44:51 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-04-29 at 13:57 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> Sandy, the above paragraphs were pivotal to my understanding. Free beer/fruit
> juice on the house for Sandy.

I have saved that email ;-)

> So eventhough my local SMTP server dials up to the internet with a certain
> username and password, that same username and password would not be used as
> authentication between my local SMTP server and the ISP's one, should it be
> used as a relay?

No, your postfix uses the file "/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd" to decide what
login/passwd to use. It contains lines like this:

mailhost.your.isp loginame:password

it means that, when talking to smtp server at "mailhost.your.isp", it
must use the login/pass pair to the right. ISPs normally use the same
password for everything (login, pop3, smtp, ftp...) just to save work.

Notice that if we had several users with accounts at that site, we
would have problems... it is a server side configuration, not a users'
configuration.

> > The easiest way to test it is to set up several mail accounts in your
> > mailclient and configure each account to send with the same user/pass to
> > your ISP mailserver.
> Sorry, I didn't see that I was able to specify the name and password the new
> SMTP server I had added. :()

Mozilla will ask for the login/pass with a dialog at the moment it
connects and sees they are needed.

> I've added a new entry for smtp.gmail.com and used my gmail username to
> authenticate. It didn't request a password so I assume that will come up when
> I send the message.

Right.

The settings to use for gmail in mozilla are:

Server name: smtp.gmail.com port: 587

[X] Use name and password

User name: your_address@xxxxxxxxx

Use secure connection:

[ ] No [ ] TLS, if available [X] TLS [ ] SSL

Notice that the port number is selected automatically when selecting TLS -
I think, it has being months since I configured this.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson