Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:57 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2006-04-25 at 15:12 +0200, houghi wrote:

> And here I thought it was about documentation. Now suddenly it is about
> translating programs. Writing Documentation and even translating
> Documentation is something different then translating a program.

I was talking about both things, because for me they are related. For many
people the non existence of a translation means there is no documentation
at all! So they go to the list and ask you absurd questions that are
explained first thing in the documentation, and I can not tell them to
RTFM because they can't :-(

> A running program should be enough to translate your .po file. However it
> could then indeed be that some sourcecode editing is needed.

No, no, that should not be needed. If that is the case, you have to tell
the developpers. I meant that we have to look sometimes at the source code
to get the context and meaning of isolated sentences, but I don't even try
to touch the code. Some times the code has comments that clarify things.

> This was not what I thought we were talking about. I understood that we
> were talking about documentation of a program. Now that it looks we are
> talking about translation of a program, so it can be used in multiple
> languages natively, everything that has been said means nothing, as we
> were talking about different things.

Sorry about the confussion. In my messages I talked about both things,
perhaps you didn't notice.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson