Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:08:29 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2006-04-25 at 15:05 +0200, houghi wrote:

> > You need the .po to generate the .pot files, and the gettext utilities.
> > Also, you need the c source for context. Then, aside from the program
> > itself, the plain doc is often not a plaintext, but is done with docbook
> > or xml o some other thing you need the source of, not the end result we
> > normally see.
>
> See David Wright's reply about having seperate groups for Developers and
> Documenters. I also thought that .po files were for translation, not so
> much documentation.

Right, they are needed for translation. My point is that you need the
sources for translations of programs and anexed documentations.

> I will give an example of a very small script, makeSUSEdvd. There are no
> .po or .pot files. There are no things you need to compile, the script is
> the code. There is also no documaentation that comes with it. It points to
> a website.

Of course, that's true. I don't know if it is possible to
"internationallise" an script, ie, translate its messages.

> So writing documentation for that should be a not too difficult thing to
> do.

Often in SuSE scripts are self-documented, with comments. It would be very
dificult to maintain that kind of documentation in diferent languages. In
those cases, the translation has to be separate.

> There are many more scripts like that on SUSE that could use documentation
> and that are just scripts. Just do a `for I in /usr/bin/*;do file $I|grep
> script;done` and then start looking for scripts that do not have good
> documentation.

SpamAssassin and amavis-new are very much needed of user documentation.
You need to read the "source code" in the configuration file.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson