Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:48:49PM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Tuesday 2006-04-25 at 03:22 +0200, houghi wrote:
>
> > Not sure if you always need the sourcecode to work on documentation. But
> > then that must be worked out with the developer.
>
> You need the .po to generate the .pot files, and the gettext utilities.
> Also, you need the c source for context. Then, aside from the program
> itself, the plain doc is often not a plaintext, but is done with docbook
> or xml o some other thing you need the source of, not the end result we
> normally see.

See David Wright's reply about having seperate groups for Developers and
Documenters. I also thought that .po files were for translation, not so
much documentation.

I will give an example of a very small script, makeSUSEdvd. There are no
.po or .pot files. There are no things you need to compile, the script is
the code. There is also no documaentation that comes with it. It points to
a website.

So writing documentation for that should be a not too difficult thing to
do.

There are many more scripts like that on SUSE that could use documentation
and that are just scripts. Just do a `for I in /usr/bin/*;do file $I|grep
script;done` and then start looking for scripts that do not have good
documentation.

You have your sourcecode right there. With pin you are able to contact the
developers. And with the above, you just find those that are inslalled on
your system and in /usr/bin. There are more places to find things.

houghi