Re: [opensuse] Documentation required BEFORE release!
  • From: scsijon <scsijon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:42:19 +1000
At 02:29 PM 24/04/2006, houghi wrote:
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 07:05:41PM +1000, scsijon wrote:
> Don't flame me,
>
> I'm just trying to understand packages and their updates, I'm frustrated!
>
> I don't know how many of the linux packages out there have either
> incomplete or
> out of date documentation, but i'm getting tired of having to trace through
> number of sources, maintainers, lists, earlier sources, obsolete
> versions, etc.,
> just to work out if a package i've been recomended to try to do a
> particular task
> can give me the results I want for my clients.

Documentation might still not tell you that. You need to test-run it to be
sure.

> I'd just love to have someone with authority (such as LT himself) come out
> with
> the command
>
> "No package is to be considered for inclusion at the release stage unless
> the
> Documentation is Complete and up to date."

That would stop the complete Linux distributions. I asume that you also
want it to be translated into all languages, or are you happy to translate
French or Spannish documentation into your own?

nah, just sanscrit

It is nice to want. It also is completely unrealistic to do. I am sure less
then 1% have complete and up to date documentation. And that most likely
only for smaller programs.

then it's time to get it right