Re: [opensuse] making the community grow
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:51:33 +0200 (CEST)
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Christian Boltz wrote:

> Am Freitag, 21. April 2006 14:19 schrieb houghi:
> > To realy know if more people are helping out, it would be nice to see
> > some pre- and post-openSUSE bugzilla numbers.
>
> Quoting AJ's mail in opensuse-announce ("schedule update") from
> thursday:
>
> Thank you all for your support for SUSE Linux 10.1, with this
> version we received for the first time more feedback from the
> community than from engineers inside Novell
>
> I'd say this is quite impressing ;-)

It definitely is!

> AJ: Can you please add some more statistics?

I'll try to anser this question with some rough numbers & rates. Once 10.1
is out, we will hopefully have the time to dig into bugzilla and come up
with some real numbers.

> - what percentage of bug reports came from the community for 10.0?

IIRC we had some 1/3 communtiy to 2/3 Novell / SUSE repored bugs for
10.0. This has changed for 10.1, where we approximately have the same
numbers in reverse.

> - what percentage of bug reports for 10.1 came from the "old" [1] beta
> testers? (I don't want to split the community into "old" and "new" -
> I'm just interested in the numbers ;-)

The 1/3 of community reported bugs was distributed into 1/3 "new" and 2/3
"old", if I rember correctly -- but I'd have to go and check those numbers
again.

> Hints how I can query this on myself are also welcome - especially, I
> could not find a search option for "reporter is member of group XY" :-(

It's not that easy to gather those numbers from bugzilla -- what I did
some month ago was downloading csv formated exports from bugzilla queries
with a lot of different collums turned on and then parsing those with a
spcial script.

Regards
Christoph