Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:41:30PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Perhaps I spot a problem in an apparmor
> profile - I can correct it, then submit a fix/patch. After all, this
> is usually the way OSS project work. Right now, opensuse seems to work
> mostly by the community submitting reports, and Novell fixing the
> problems.

OK, and how do you see this happening? Remeber that you can sunmit a fix
with bugzilla as well. Also remember that not only SUSE users are affected
by changes you do. There are responsabilities.

I realy like the idea. I just do not see it happening because of legal
resposabilities Novell has towards their paying customers. Any change you
make will have inflence in other things as well.

As far as I have seen, the same is done by any OSS project. You file a
bugreport (with or without patch) and then the maintainers review this
report and either implement it or not.

This is done at SUSE now as well with the help of Bugzilla. So I do not
see any difference as with e.g. the kernel source.

Practical example, you see an error in makeSUSEdvd and have a solution.
What do you do? You look at the code, find the problem, write the solution
and then contact the maintainer.

So what in effect is being asked is that non-Novell people can become
maintainers. I believe something like that will be possible with the new
build server. http://build.opensuse.org/ Refering to
http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-buildservice/2006-Mar/0004.html
I asume we need to wait till after 10.1 launch?

houghi