Re: [opensuse] bug fix support by community
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:10:35 -0200
> I try to think of solutions.
> *may be we should slowdown and have a worked stable, a
> working unstable and a dev one like debian. Debian is too
> slow, but SUSE is too fast :-)

Yes, I think working in two teams: stable + unstable will be good.

Unfortunately SUSE Linux 10.0 is poorly tested, leaving out many bugs.

I'm even thinking about starting rolling Unofficial Service Packs for
SUSE Linux 10.0.
(why only corporates deserve fixes ? we - the community - too deserve fixes)

I also believe that offline support must be available for stable
releases - that is either Service Packs (like M$) or ISO releases (r1,
r2 - like Debian Stable).

> *I already tried to identify what yast module do what to
> look at the sources. It's really difficult. any doc?
>
> *why is Yast so bad documented? I use SUSE now for nearly 10
> years an they are still options I don't know what they are
> for...

Yast is generally very poorly documented, and there are very few
tutorials about programming Yast modules (even the FOSDEM2006 tutorial
is not really enough to start speaking Yast )

I think Novell should release more documentation about Yast - so then
more developers will write Yast Modules and perhaps more distros will
use Yast (which in turn will bring us even more modules backported
from other distros).