Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.1 RC1 - Wireless PCI card - can not enable it and get it up
  • From: "Audrius Verseckas" <suseopen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:38:57 +0300
On 4/19/06, Audrius Verseckas <suseopen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/18/06, Tim Harper <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If its named eth1, its likely not configured properly.
> >
> > Try reconfiguring it with YAST, under the network card configuration
> > component? Delete the configuration for eth1, and create a new wireless one.
> > Under the hardware selection dialog, if you're card isn't listed as being
> > supported, you'll have to install ndiswrapper, and then install the windows
> > driver (which is what I had to do).
> >

> I do not think so... System detects card correctly... only can not get
> it up... And I think because of not correct firmware...
>
> I found on http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/ site that if I have a PCI
> softmac card (and it seems that my SMC2802W V2 is) I have to put
> special firmware in
>
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
>
> But I cannot find such dir in Suse 10.1... Maybe someone could point
> me where I have to put it?

dmesg shows me:

eth1: resetting device...
eth1: uploading firmware...
prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
eth1: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
eth1: islpci_reset: failure

Why Suse is trying to load 'isl3890'? I think that my card is 'isl3886'.

Is there a wireless guru here which could tel me how can I identify my
card? It looks like this:

http://heureka.inf.elte.hu/home/vlsoft/smc/SMC2802W_front.jpg
http://heureka.inf.elte.hu/home/vlsoft/smc/SMC2802W_back_nomac.jpg

Audrius