Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: Jerry Westrick <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:30:28 +0200
On Monday 17 April 2006 13:10, houghi wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:30:42PM +0200, Jerry Westrick wrote:
>
> <snip great explanation>
>
> > Since this "Backup" directory is also accessible via samba,
> > the users can go directly to the backup directory and get the
> > backups themselves. The files are individually zipped so that each
> > document can be looked at without long "restore" processes. (This is the
> > entire restore procedure, and also helps understand the lack of
> > documentation thereof).
>
> Even then 1 alinea describing the above would be welcome. I first looked
> at it and saw something like /usr/bin/storeBackupRecover.pl
> More parameters to fill in an what if that is part of the problem?
>
> I have personally experienced (and I am sure many others with me) that
> restoring is much more importand then backing up. Backing up takes only
> space and time for yourself and for your system. Restoring will recover
> your data.
>
> So when I started first looking for a backup tool, I started looking for
> restore information. When that was not available, I started looking for
> another tool. Restoring is what people are really interested in.
>
> houghi

Ahhh, that is a problem. The /usr/bin/storeBackupRecover.pl is an attempt to
recover the original files from a specific "Date" of the backup. It is there
if you absolutetly need it, but it's a bonus not the real purpose of
storebackup. maybe a line like: "Since storebackup is made to backup to
disk, the access to the individual backuped files is via normal disk access."
would be helpfull?

Hmmm, now that we've solved a problem with the documentation of storebackup
how do we "Release" the solution to the storebackup group?

Jerry