Re: [opensuse] SUSE version naming
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:24:01 +0200

Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> jdd wrote:
> Back to Linux: I think that the version numbers of SuSE distributions
> were not always driven by "technical" aspects but by marketing instead
> (at least partly). And, maybe, they still are. When RedHat releases an
> Enterprise server 10, Novell needs also something with a version number
> 10 at the end of the day. And so on.

Exactly.

> In summary: the whole topic about version numbering is more complicated
> than one might think as it has of course some commercial side-effect.
> This list is mainly looking at this topic from a "technical" point of
> view. But in order to come up with a solution that suits everyone (if
> it's going to be changed at all), one needs to include the marketing
> guys in this discussion...

100% ACK.

It's totally useless to discuss/drive that here, IMO it's outside of our
scope of action and influence.

That's something the Novell marketing dept decides, and I don't see them
discussing this with us.

Pointless, let's discuss things we can actually have influence on or do
ourselves.

cheers
- --