Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: Jerry Westrick <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:30:42 +0200
On Monday 17 April 2006 00:57, houghi wrote:

> I am sure it is a great tool, but it is not one I would use in my current
> situation. Also strange that I did not find a word about restoring data,
> or at least not realy. What I found was:
> You can use this information to write your own tools to restore
> or to analyze the backups.
>
> For me restoring is more important then a backup. With so much
> information, at least 1 alinea about how restoring works should not be too
> much to ask.
>
> Sorry, not my kind of tool.
>
> houghi
You are right on the money with these comments.

Storebackup is probably not what you want for your situation. For the list
let me explain the backup needs that storebackup fullfills. The easiest way
to do this is to explain what it does in a production environment where it's
advantages are used.

In a lawyers office here in Basel I've set a Samba based office server.
As a production server it multiple layers of backups each serving different
purposes.

Storebackup is just one of the layers. It covers "User/Software errors".
Here a for example:

The problem:
As is normal in the real world, the secretaries often open old documents,
modify them, and save them as new documents. At least once a month someone
forgets to "save as" to a new document name, and overwrites the old document
with the new. In this case the old document needs to be retrieved from the
backup.

The Solution:
With storebackup, I save "all" samba shares to a backup directory. This
directory contains all documents that the users can access in multiple
versions:
- the last 7 Nightly versions
- the last 4 "End of week" versions
- the last 3 "End of month" versions

Each version is stored in a separate directory named by date of backup.
Under each "Date" directory, is a subdirectory for each share. Each share
subdirectory contains the exact structure of the original share, so that the
users can find the documents they are looking for.

Since this "Backup" directory is also accessible via samba,
the users can go directly to the backup directory and get the
backups themselves. The files are individually zipped so that each document
can be looked at without long "restore" processes. (This is the entire
restore procedure, and also helps understand the lack of documentation
thereof).

All access rights of the original shares are respected within the backup
directory structure, so that the Secretary cannot see the personal letters of
the Boss, etc. etc.

This solution is extremely elegant, and requires absolutely no maintenance
after setup.

But I agree this is not the solution that you are looking for,
(for now at least ;-)

Jerry