Re: [opensuse] SUSE version naming
  • From: "Joop Boonen" <joop_boonen@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:46:08 +0200 (CEST)
I think it's the numbering is very logical. Only for 10.x it was a bit out
of tune.

X.0 is the pre new kernel version.
8.0 was pre 2.4 kernel (2.4 was test kernel) 8.1 was 2.4 kernel
9.0 was pre 2.6 kernel (2.6 was test kernel) 9.1 was 2.6 kernel

My opion 10.0 was pre red carpet and other novell tools 10.1 has al this
inside. An ofcourse the market made them move to 10. Solaris 10, Mandriva
10, Redhat 10 etc.

I personally prefer numbers as the dat or some wierd name doesn't mean
anything to me. x.1 id newer than x.0. That is very clear. Look the latest
version up on the internet.

I hope SuSE will never move to NT, 2000, XP, Vista etc. Instead of 4.0,
4.1, 5 and 5.1?

(May be an option might be an odd and even sceam like with the kernel, odd
is test/unstable even is stable?)

Regards,

Joop.